Consultation on the new draft London Plan is now open. Once adopted, it will set the policy framework for local plans and decisions across London.
Of particular note is a new Policy which relates specifically to small sites (Policy H2). This emphasises the need for small sites to play a much greater role in housing delivery. The policy states that Council’s should:
- Identify and allocate appropriate small sites for residential development
- Apply a presumption in favour of schemes between 1 and 25 homes
- Support infill development on vacant or underused sites
- Increase the density of existing residential homes within PTALs 3-6 or within 800 metres of a tube station, rail station or town centre boundary
- Support the redevelopment or upward extension of flats and non-residential buildings
The policy also sets individual targets for each Borough for the net completion of housing on small sites.
If adopted, this policy can only be a good thing for the delivery of housing in London and the small to medium housebuilders looking to provide it.
If you wish to comment on the new draft London Plan or have a small site that you would like to promote or seek planning permission for Aitchison Raffety Planning can provide expert advice.
Please contact Hayden Todd, Senior Planning Consultant in Aitchison Raffety’s Planning Division on 020 7907 3720 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org